Join the FMS
FMS is regarded by the government and the music profession as the national voice of music services. We have the greatest concentration of knowledge and expertise in this field of education. Through our large membership we represent the interests of 500,000 pupils and 10,000 teachers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
As well as being a part of this, benefits of FMS membership include quality assurance and best practice, access to professional development and advice, eligibility for our specially designed insurance policy, and use of the FMS logo.
Currently, 157 Music Services from England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands are members of FMS, representing 10,000 teachers and half a million pupils
Advocacy and lobbying
FMS advocates the benefits of music education and Music Services to:
- local and central government
- schools and other educational establishments
- the community
FMS lobbies on behalf of its members through:
- promoting the work of Music Services
- direct representation
- the media
- other appropriate channels
Read more about our advocacy and lobbying.
FMS aims to improve the quality of teaching and learning, and business and marketing skills by:
- highlighting and disseminating ‘good practice’
- promoting common criteria to evaluate practice
FMS provides professional development through:
- meetings and conferences
- publications, videos etc.
Information, advice and support
FMS members have access to:
- a central source of information, including data collection
- conferences and meetings at regional and national level
- shared expertise and advice through its newsletter and other publications
- support and other benefits arising from the networking of members
FMS takes action and responds to government initiatives as appropriate, including:
- curriculum developments
- initial teacher training and induction
- teachers’ pay and conditions, appraisal, performance related pay etc.
- inspection/benchmarking of Music Services
- funding, management and accountability of Music Services
Teaching and administrative staff of member Music Services are entitled to:
- attend meetings, conferences etc. as appropriate
FMS members are entitled to use the Federation Logo on their stationery and publications.
Call 01943 463311, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Federation of Music Services
7 Courthouse Street